April 2010 Marked 125 Years of Ministry in Oshawa
For over 125 years, Oshawa Temple has shared the gospel in their community
The first recorded history of the Salvation Army in Oshawa is from a Town Council meeting on March 3, 1884 where the Salvation Army, some 62 people strong made a request to use the Town Hall for their meetings. There are many reports of the workings of the Salvation Army at Oshawa in newspapers from Toronto to Lindsay. This early crowd created quite a stir and were known for their lively meetings both at the Town Hall and on the street corner.
The early day relationship with town council was quite mixed. Council minutes of 1885 record their disapproval regarding the “...length of the Army meetings, often going well past 10 PM with the playing of instruments and beating of the drum.” This precipitated the council’s reluctance to renew the Salvation Army’s lease. However, town council minutes of February 1886 record that councillor “Hawthorne wished to know why the constable had stopped the band from playing on the corner Saturday last.” After the constable was heard, Mr. Hawthorne motioned that the band be requested to play every Saturday and Wednesday evening on the corner of King and Simcoe streets. This exchange perhaps best demonstrates a positive change in the relationship with town council which the Salvation Army in Oshawa has enjoyed to this day.
On March 14 1889, the first property was purchased at the corner of Simcoe and Oak (later renamed John) streets. The initial building was erected on this site using materials that were thought to have originally housed the Salvation Army in Pickering. The building was dismantled and transported by teams of horses as well as men pushing wheelbarrows to its new location in Oshawa. This building was replaced with a more permanent structure in 1911. The corps flourished at the corner of Simcoe and John having undergone many additions and renovations until Christmas 1987. After meeting for several weeks in a local high school, the present building was officially opened by Commissioner Will Pratt on the weekend of February 13 and 14, 1988.
The corps in Oshawa has always had a rich heritage of working with those in need. In 1912, a letter to council records a request for funds to assist with the social work of the local corps. By this time, the corps had become a permanent part of the fabric of Oshawa. Photographs, newspaper clippings and council minutes record that the Salvation Army was present at many major civic activities of the day.
As the corps in Oshawa grew, many families were added to the roll. As a result, programs geared toward the whole family grew. The corps added a formal Sunday school first mentioned at the turn of the 20th century. Later additions included a home league (women’s ministries), young people’s band, singing company, scouting and guiding units. Most of these groups are still active in the corps today.
During the 1930’s, Canada was struck with a great depression. Many people were without work, but during this time the Oshawa Corps continued to grow, in part, due to the success of General Motors and Sir Sam McLaughlin, a good friend of the Army who did his best to provide work for the community. In 1934 the corps celebrated its 50th anniversary. A write-up in the local paper described the anniversary weekend which included an anniversary parade: “No other religious denomination could, by dint, hint or crook, marshal such patronage. We never saw anything like it – and in that phrase we might as well emphasize their whole proceedings from the beginning to the end. Whoever saw anything like it in the way of religious service, or indeed in any other way? The scene at times on the platform was beyond portraiture, beyond imagination... The banquet and all were certainly a grand success, and The Salvation Army must feel grateful for the public favour and patronage extended to them.”
By the fall of 1939, it was evident Canada was going to war. This was a difficult time for society in Oshawa and The Salvation Army was not spared. Many of the men of the corps were either overseas fighting the war, or moved to other parts of Canada where their skills, often learned at General Motors, were put to use for the war effort. Following the war, the corps again experienced a time of significant growth, which continued through the 1950’s, and 60’s. With the growth came further expansion of the building at the corner of Simcoe and John. The Oshawa Corps continued to be the center of spiritual growth for many of its soldiers. It was during this time that seventeen soldiers committed themselves to fulltime ministry as Salvation Army officers.
During the decade of the 60’s, the social services side of the corps was formally set-up with its own fulltime leadership. New living quarters were found for the corps officer allowing the welfare department to be started in the old officer’s quarters, behind the corps, facing John Street. This ministry has expanded dramatically over the years and since 1993 has been housed in a modern 2 story building at 117 King St. E.
Leading into the 70’s, the style of music that the world was listening to had changed dramatically. Amplified guitars and drums had taken the world by storm and the Oshawa Corps was no exception. While the band and songsters continued to flourish, new groups were taking shape and providing contemporary Christian music to the community in Oshawa and around the territory. Groups such as the “Good News Group” and “Logos” were formed during this time and blessed many in their service.
By the time the 1980’s arrived, it was evident the corps would need more space to continue to grow and conduct the work the Lord had ordained it to do. A building committee with many members of the corps was formed and a coordinated plan was put in place. Contributions and support came from the whole church family and soon the money for the new building was raised and the corps was on the move to the suburbs. A suitable location was found at 570 Thornton Road North. The Family Services Ministry remained downtown.
This move to the suburbs provided space to expand corps ministries. In recent years, the corps has sponsored several Alpha programs as an outreach to the community. Alpha has served as an introduction to Christianity for many new members of the corps. Combined with a large number of transfers from other Corps, Oshawa Temple has a vibrant ministry. The contemporary music started in the 70’s has become an integral part of our Sunday worship through our worship team. The band and songsters continue to provide as active a ministry as they have ever had. The Sunday school continues to teach young people of Christ’s love, supported by the scouting movement, young people’s band, timbrels, singing company and angel choir. Women’s ministry continues its excellent up to date ministry. In recent years a men’s ministry called Men of Action and Purpose has begun providing needed practical service to the community, including many senior citizens.
The ministry of the Oshawa Temple Corps has ben alive and well for over 125 years is alive and well. May God continue to bless His work in this community!!