Small Groups At Church
During these difficult times of coronavirus and isolation, there are still ways to socialize, learn and pray together as a small group. Think of a few people who would appreciate this, invite them, plan a time for everyone to watch a video below, then video conference together so you can see and hear each other and discuss the questions, points that stood out to you, and pray for each other. Video conferencing is free using simple websites like zoom.us, Skype, ...
"Let us not give up the habit of meeting together ...Instead, let us encourage one another ...(Hebrews 10:25 TEV)
"You are joined together with peace through the Spirit, so make every effort to continue together in this way" (Ephesians 4:3 NCV)
"How wonderful it is, how pleasant, for God's people to live together in harmony" (Psalm 133:1 TEV)
Life is a journey and we are all at different points in our own personal experience. Life can be great at times and challenging quite often, and being in a group helps us all grow closer to each other and closer to God, with the support of friends. Friends from a small group can pray for you, share wisdom or experiences with you, encourage when needed and can add to our understanding of who God is and His plan for your life.
Join a small group and give it a try, if one doesn't fit you exactly, try another! Life simply isn't meant to be lived alone. You were created to experience life with other people. Small groups can gather online, but usually meet at church or in a home each week or bi-weekly, and one of these groups just might make your life that much more joyous. We're better together. In a group you'll hang out, socialize, study the Word, and pray together. No matter where you are in life, there's a group for you. Let the church office know if you are interested.
The following are great videos to watch for newcomers simply searching and seasoned christians:
1. The Purpose Driven Life
The Purpose Driven Life (by Rick Warren - click here to order e-book download or free sample)
Begin your own 6 week small group study with a friend or friends with the below resources. You can just watch the videos or better yet, watch a video then read from the e-book the following 7 days worth of readings (approx 3 pages per day), then call your friend/friends and discuss the questions. Whether it's the first time, or re-doing this study (highly recommended), it will be a great time of growth and reflection discovering god's individual purposes for our lives. You can also listen to a short message for each of the 40 days at www.purposedriven.com/day1 ...then www.purposedriven/day2
Video Messages (free) include:
- Session 1 Video 30 mins The Purpose for your life summary
- Session 2 Video 30 mins Planned for God's pleasure ...extra 20 min "Becoming a follower of God"
- Session 3 Video 30 mins Formed for God's family
- Session 4 Video 30 mins Created to become like Christ
- Session 5 Video 30 mins Shaped to Serve God
- Session 6 Video 30 mins Made for a mission
Video Message Discussion Questions (per session):
1. "Life is not about you; it's all about God" ...What difference could it make if I acted like life is all about God and not about myself? "I was made to last forever" ...How does that statement strike you ...encouraging, puzzling, disappointing, surprising? ...Why?
2. What do you think it means to be a living sacrifice? What will you gain by surrendering more of your life to God?
3. What could you change in your schedule that would give you more time to build healthy relationships? What does your level of involvement in your local church say about your love for God's family? How can you help cultivate the characteristics of fellowship in your church or a small group?
4. God uses trouble to teach us to trust. What problem in your life has brought about the greatest growth in your character? God uses temptation to teach us to obey... What lesson do you think God is trying to teach you? God uses trespasses to teach us to forgive What is God teaching you about forgiveness right now?
5. Availability, gratitude, faithfulness, generosity - which of these four attitudes do you need to work on most and discuss ways to do that? Click here to work on your S.H.A.P.E
6. What principles and ideas have you learned about sharing Christ with people? Can you make a list of activities or hobbies you like doing, then list people in your life who you could invite to do those activities with you ...to get to know them better, and possibly share the love of Jesus with them?
Complete your Spiritual Assessment here (15 minutes)
2. The New Alpha Series
The new alpha is a series of video sessions shot all over the world exploring the basics of the Christian faith. Each session looks at a different question that people can have about faith and is designed to create conversation. It’s just an open, informal and honest space to explore and discuss life’s big questions together. Whether a seasoned Christian, a christian introducing a friend, or it’s all new to you, why not explore something that could be a great changing point for the rest of your life? …and possibly grow some extra friendships along the way.
What does Alpha look like?
There isn’t really an average Alpha. Alpha is run in local communities all around the world, and everyone’s welcome. It runs online now, in cafés, churches, bars, prisons, parks, universities, schools, homes, online—you name it. No two Alphas look the same.
The talks are designed to engage guests and inspire conversation. Usually around thirty minutes long, played as a video, all for free. They explore the big issues around faith and unpack the basics of Christianity, addressing questions such as Who is Jesus? and How can I make the most of the rest of my life? Discussion time is probably the most important part of any Alpha: the chance to share thoughts and ideas on the topic, and simply discuss it in a small group. There’s no obligation to say anything and there’s nothing you can’t say (seriously). It’s an opportunity to hear from others and contribute your own perspective in an honest, friendly and open environment.
Videos: (to gain access to all the free videos click here ... below are a few to test them out)
- 1. Is There More to Life Than This? (25 min video)
- 2. Who is Jesus? (25 min video)
- 3. Why Did Jesus Die? (25 min video)
- 4. How Can We Have Faith? (25 min video)
- 5. Why and How Do I Pray? (25 min video)
- 6. Why and How Should I Read the Bible? (25 min video)
- 7. How Does God Guide Us? (25 min video)
- 8. How Can I Resist Evil? (25 min video)
- 9. Why and How Should I Tell Others? Does God Heal Today? (25 min video)
- 10. What About the Church? (25 min video)
- 11. Who is the Holy Spirit? (25 min video)
- 12. What Does the Holy Spirit Do? (25 min video)
- 13. How Can I Be Filled with the Holy Spirit? (25 min video)
- 14. How Can I Make the Most of the Rest of My Life? (25 min video)
This is the netflix of christian bible study videos, as well as a library of everyday topics that help us all navigate life. Topics such as marriage, finances, parenting, youth, recovery, leadership, and even kids programs are there. Visit and explore
Our church has provided it’s congregation free access to rightnowmedia.org
2. Fill in your first and last name
3. For Email enter: email@example.com (not your own personal email)
4. For Password enter: 570Thornton!
5. Fill in the rest of your personal info, and check box at bottom that you are affiliated with the Salvation Army
6. When you enter the site it takes a bit of time for pictures of studies to appear …enjoy all these great resources
"Share each other's troubles and problems, and in this way obey the law of Christ" (Galatians 6:2 NLT)
"They committed themselves the teaching of the apostles, the life together, the common meal, and the prayers." (Acts 2:42 MSG)
Would you like us to pray for you? We have a dedicated group of people who are doing exactly this. Click here for prayer