Small Group Technology Instructions
Using Technology for Video Chatting & Small Group Gatherings
Zoom is a web-based video conferencing tool for home-based computers and a mobile smart phone app that allows users to meet online, with or without video. Zoom users can choose to record sessions, collaborate on projects, and share or annotate on one another’s screens, and best of all socialize in small groups of up to 100 (recommended under 20). Zoom offers quality video, audio, and a wireless screen-sharing performance across Windows, Mac, and smart phones. By logging into the Church’s paid account if you are hosting, you don’t have a 45 min time limit. (zoom 4 min how to video)
To simply join a Meeting you are invited to:
1. Go to Zoom.us
2. Click the “Join a Meeting” tab. You can find the tab on the top right corner of the homepage (you don’t need your own profile/login)
3. When prompted, add your designated Meeting ID (The Meeting ID can be a 9, 10, or 11-Digit number). The Meeting ID should be provided by the host.
Notes: If you wish to use zoom on an ipad/tablet or smartphone instead of your home computer, you must download the zoom cloud meetings app first and sign in on the app. If your internet is slow and sound isn’t matching lips moving you may have to turn video off and simply listen/speak into the conversation without seeing people. It is also good practice to mute yourself when not speaking (bottom left screen) to allow for best sound.
To Start and host a Meeting:
1. Go to Zoom.us
2. If ready for an immediate meeting click on the “Host a Meeting” tab on the top right hand corner
3. Choose whether you would like to keep video chat on or off
4. Create your own new free account by filling out the info required. We encourage your group watch the selected video on their own prior to the zoom meeting and use your own account to host a 45 min meeting.
5. Schedule your meeting and send out the meeting details, including the Meeting ID, password and the link (set time to Eastern Standard). You’ve created a meeting!
6. For Sharing Your Screen if you want to show a video or anything on your computer: simply click “Share Screen” at the bottom of the window. Note: Only one person can use screen-share at a time, and one person must “Stop Sharing” before someone else can start sharing. To stop sharing the screen, simply click “Stop Sharing.”